- Advantage point is earned when an athlete gets to a point scoring position but is unable to hold control for an entire 3 seconds.
- When a move to a point scoring position is incomplete but clearly came close.
- When an athlete attempts a submission hold where his/her opponent is in real risk of being submitted.
- Advantage points may be awarded after the match is done but not after announcing the results.
- Advantage points may only be awarded after there is no longer a chance of points being scored for that position.
- If an athlete is under attack from a submission and reaches one or multiple point-scoring positions, they will be awarded with one advantage point.